MLP Tutor Eligibility Guidelines
Interested in supporting literacy in your community? Volunteer to be an MLP tutor and help adults to improve their literacy skills.
Following are the guidelines for volunteering with the MLP.
• Be 18 years of age or older and have a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Speak and communicate in clear, understandable English.
• Attend a Tutor Orientation.
• Satisfactorily complete an 11-hour tutor training workshop.
• Commit to at least 1½ hours of tutoring per week for a minimum of 6 months, excluding lesson preparation and travel time.
• Demonstrate appropriate English reading, writing and comprehension ability to tutor students effectively.
• Establish a regular tutoring schedule, arrive at sessions on time, and notify the student in advance if you will be late or must cancel the session.
• Meet student at library or other recommended tutoring site, or at a site mutually agreed on by the learner and the tutor.
• Demonstrate appropriate behavior for tutoring one-on-one or small groups, including showing sensitivity and respect toward others.
• Identify and track learner’s literacy goals.
• Respond to reasonable needs and requests of the student regarding approaches and materials for tutoring.
• Determine learner’s achievement toward goals every 6 months by doing follow-up assessments provided by Marin Literacy Program.
• Meet Marin Literacy tutor reporting requirements related to tutoring hours and status of student goals and progress.
• Attend at least one Marin Literacy tutor in-service workshop per year.
• Adhere to non-discrimination policy:
No person shall be discriminated against because of sex, race, color, nationality, religion, political belief or affiliation, age, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation
• Adhere to a non-harassment policy:
No person shall show a pattern of behavior perceived as offensive or threatening, or use offensive language.